Search Linux Wireless

Port of bcm43xx from softmac to mac80211 is available for testing

The port of bcm43xx from softmac to mac80211 is available for testing. There are two patch sets that can be downloaded from ftp://lwfinger.dynalias.org/patches and be applied to kernel 2.6.23-rc1 or -rc2, the mainstream git tree (Linus's), and Linville's wireless-2.6 git tree.

The two files are ftp://lwfinger.dynalias.org/patches/SSB_Final, which installs the SSB driver, and ftp://lwfinger.dynalias.org/patches/port_to_mac80211, which has the changes for the bcm43xx driver. The resulting driver will use V3 firmware.

These patches are similar to the 4301 test driver that was circulated earlier. The major change is that the earlier version was trying to set the power too low. Once that was fixed, performance has become quite good, as shown below. I'm still working on the power setup, which may help the BCM4306.

Transker rates (xmit/recv in Mbs), obtained by using an Iperf server on my LAN

Bit Rate	BCM4311		BCM4318		BCM4306
set (Mbs)
1		1.17/8.66	1.22/9.39	1.22/3.73
2		1.96/11.2	1.98/12.5	1.90/4.98
5.5		4.15/17.7	4.19/17.7	3.98/5.09
6		4.86/17.3	4.86/19.9	2.66/4.94
9		6.58/17.7	6.56/19.9	3.26/5.01
11		6.57/14.2	6.54/18.5	6.07/5.20
18		10.7/19.6	10.7/20.2	4.74/5.05
24		12.6/19.6	12.8/20.0	4.12/5.34
36		16.2/20.1	15.9/20.1	4.76/4.90
48		17.9/20.0	15.1/19.6	3.70/4.18
54		19.0/19.8	15.1/20.0	1.83/2.64

These results look rather good for the later models - my BCM4306 has a PHY rev of 1. On this version, much more is required in the PHY setup, and we clearly have more work for that device.

Please let me know of any problems in applying the patches, or any oops's that occur.

Larry

-