Search Linux Wireless

Re: driver bugs with changed mac address

Johannes Berg wrote:
In zd1211, we start with hwaddr = dev->wiphy->perm_addr which isn't
correct either, for a pure monitor mode we want to start with a zero mac
addr to avoid acking packets. Also, zd1211rw will end up having a NULL
hwaddr when a monitor interface is added, most likely segfaulting in
zd_write_mac_addr then.

Sorry for the delay in getting to this.

Looking at this now, the behaviour you describe is not what happens. When I bring up an interface set to monitor mode, zd_mac_add_interface() gets called with a non-NULL mac address, the actual MAC of the device. So, when zd_mac_open gets called soon after, it calls zd_write_mac_addr with a non-NULL address, so it succeeds as normal.

Should I ignore the above and just set an all-zero MAC in the hardware when a monitor interface is brought up? (setting all-zero will disable acks)

Thanks,
Daniel

-