Search Linux Wireless

Re: [ipw3945-devel] Request for help...

Jeff Garzik wrote:

Intel is definitely not releasing early and often" from the LKML perspective.

I agree the cadence to >>linux-wireless<< has been lacking.  But Intel
is releasing early and often.  You can check their GIT logs and snapshot
history as evidence of that.

I am very hopeful that the people working on the 802.11n and HT patches, as well as the developers working on the iwlwifi drivers, will get their patches together and submitted to linux-wireless for inclusion.
I am also hopeful that those patches will be evaluated on the merit and
value of the functionality they enable.
<soapbox>

If people on linux-wireless don't want contributors to go off and spend weeks / months at a time working in another sandbox, on another mailing list, or in a different development community, maybe the general attitude and approach of the maintainers on linux-wireless needs to be one which facilitates those individual's contributions, and helps in encouraging them to do more in the future. Even if those
contributors work for a Big Hardware Vendor.

Working with a community should augment development, not complicate it or become a burden to it. People should feel better about their contributions after engaging in a thread in a community where one of their patches is reviewed; they should feel like progress has been
made, their contributions have been shared, and now others can benefit
from them -- they should not walk away feeling demoralized and berated
for trying.

More often than not, my time on linux-wireless has left me feeling like the later.

<soapbox/>

James
-