Search Linux Wireless

Re: alignment issue between 32bit userland and 64bit kernel

Hi,

> While developing the wireless support for PS3, I'd noticed there were alignment
> issues if we issued some wireless ioctl from 32bit userland to 64bit
> kernel (ppc64 PS3 does have).
>
>  - IW_EV_LCP_LEN in 32bit userland and 64bit kernel differ
>  - offsetof(struct iw_point, length) differ

Yeah, we're aware of them.

> The former issue could be fixed if we added 'packed' attribute to
> iw_event structure, but it would break existing 64bit userland.  I have
> no idea to resolve latter issue because the first member of struct
> iw_point is a pointer.
>
> Does anyone have idea to fix these issues?
> (except compiling all userland apps in 64bit mode...)

Jean wants to fix them in userspace. In fact, if you upgrade your
userspace to the really latest version it *should* work. wpa_supplicant
still doesn't work, nor do most distribution's versions of network
manager because the fixes haven't been backported.

johannes