Search Linux Wireless

RE: ieee80211_rx_mgmt: pushing fake 'management' frames intouserspace

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 16:40 +0800, Mandy.Peng@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Yes, I have to worry about it. Since our chipset only handle the data
> path task, the host software has to take care of all the management
> tasks.

Oh. That's an interesting setup, and will require changes to mac80211 to
avoid the 802.3 -> 802.11 reframing and much of the transmit patch.
Interesting, and probably not the simplest thing to do right now. If
you're willing to share some specification on the chipset or such we
should be able to help you with the driver and required mac80211
changes.

And if your device handles all of the datapath, then how can you
transmit raw 802.11 management frames? Is there a bit in the
device-specific transmit header you can set to have it avoid using the
data path handling in firmware? [1]

> If we write a netdevice driver and register to cfg80211. Then we
> should use the similar way to pass through the management frame as
> mac80211.

Ah. That works too, but then you'll be relying on the userspace MLME.
That's fine, however all this stuff hasn't really been worked out
properly yet.

>  So I wondering how do you testing the mac80211 management
> action ? Which version of hostapd and wpa_supplicant are you used to
> verify the mac80211 ? We will set up the set environment.

I have to admit that I've never ran any userspace MLME besides hostapd,
but right now you're probably more managed in managed mode, i.e.
wpa_supplicant, I've never tried that. You might want to talk to Jouni
(CC'ed).

johannes

[1] if that's the case, then you should be able to write a mac80211
driver right now that puts the transmit path into software. That would
allow you to have a driver now and change things accordingly later.