Search Linux Wireless

Re: your nl80211 work

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 13:39 +0200, David Lamparter wrote:

> Ah, I didn't think about that. Well, next try next luck... Hmm. Maybe we
> should include the list of interfaces into the GET_WIPHY command and have
> GET_INTERFACE never return a list?

Actually, I only thought about that yesterday too when thinking about
the userspace MLME thing (see my other post)

> Yeah, I was hoping for feedback on this one. For one, do we even bother to
> return the frequency via nl80211? There's no attribute for it yet, and I
> don't know if this is too useful. Maybe it can be included in the channel
> list, so if an application really wants to know the frequency, it can look
> up the table using channel+phymode as key and get it.

I think Dan said that he'd really like to see the kernel have a
frequency table somehow so not all userspace programs need to convert
themselves and introduce bugs and be updated all the time for new
things. But just having it in the channel list seems sufficient, or have
it in cfg80211 and pass it via nl80211 but not read it on incoming
requests nor bother the driver with it, i.e. create it from
channel/phymode in nl80211.c itself.

johannes