Search Linux Wireless

Re: RFC: Regulatory info in mac80211

Quoting "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx>:

A bigger issue for users is support. As you very well know reverse
engineering is a long tedious process; we are essentially doomed to
reverse engineering  wireless drivers for some wireless devices where
regulatory compliance sits in the driver due to vendor fears on legal
liability. I'm not saying their fears are justified by any means I'm
just saying those fears do exist by some vendors and unfortunately we
suffer the consequences. So if we can do some sort of best effort,
perhaps we can steer some vendors to support us.

I would say that we should do our best in supporting users instead.

Furthermore, I understand your concerns, but:
1) I think that a weak regulatory domain support (such as commented defines in the mac80211 code) is sufficient to claim we comply with regulatory domains, while avoiding to hassle users. 2) We won't get any vendor to support us thanks to regulatory compliance. There are just some weird vendors such as Broadcom and some friendly vendors such as Realtek: it's unrealistic that vendors such as Broadcom would ever change their mind. You may say my point is short-sighted, but I really can't think that we can steer a vendor to support us just by complying to regulatory domains: it looks clear to me that Broadcom and other weird vendors such as TI are just ridicolously trying to protect IP. Or are you talking about the almost-friendly vendors like Intel? 3) The GPL license, in my humble opinion, aims at the most possible freedom. I don't care if vendors support us if we don't aim at this.

However, as you can see, I CC'ed Theo DeRaadt, who, being an expert about these issues, will sure provide us with the best advice about what to do.

--
Ciao
Stefano

-