Search Linux Wireless

Re: RFC: Regulatory info in mac80211

Joerg Pommnitz wrote:
Larry Finger wrote:

And not all regulatory information is public: as I wrote in a previous message:
I work for a company that has special regulatory permission to use channels
outside those freely available with tx power of up to 4W. This is a legitimate
use case that should not be forbidden by a new regdomain framework (I can always
hack around this, but that's just a hack, not a clean solution).

As this usage is not allowed by any other user, I think it should be forbidden. Your hack will be to alter the database. As I stated earlier, it will be nearly possible to prevent such hacking, there will always be a back door for users like you.

Regarding a user space daemon: keep in mind special use cases like NFSroot over WLAN.

This is a "chicken and egg" problem. That may require limiting such usage to the default/fallback configuration.

3. There should be some sort of checking to verify that the database has not been hacked to modify transmission power, etc. in an illegal manner. Obviously, no foolproof means of enforcing this does not exist; however, we should prevent the crudest form of modifications.

Define "illegal manner". For me it is perfectly legal to use channel 14 in Europe with 4W tx power. I admit that this is a
special interest, but nonetheless perfectly legal.

If I did that, it would be illegal. Similarly, if I were to hack my AP to use channel 14 in the US, it would be illegal at any power. These are the kinds of things that should not be easy for just any user to change. I certainly hope that the final result of this effort can handle your special needs without any kernel changes, unlike with the current version of mac80211.

Larry

-