Search Linux Wireless

Re: support for bridging ethernet and 802.11

On May 10, 2007, at 12:25 PM, Jouni Malinen wrote:

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 07:19:35PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:

Ah forgot about that, I had only thought about AP/wired bridging. How
would the prism driver actually do bridging in STA mode though?

If that is referring to Host AP driver, there is support for using WDS
in client mode. If the AP understands this, the client could use
standard frames for its own packets (i.e., SA=own MAC addr) and WDS
frames for frames from all other addresses. There are some experimental modes in Host AP driver that (if I remember correctly ;-) may allow this to be used on a single netdev (i.e., no additional netdev needed for the
WDS link) and as such, this would look like working layer 2 bridging
between wlan0 and eth0 even in managed mode.

I'm a little confused. It seems from the thread that there are several forums of bridging.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to take all traffic from eth0 to wlan0 (and the other way around). I'm happy to configure and associate wlan0 with an AP.

I believe the current USB adapter I've got is using the SOFTMAC code right now.

- k
-