From: Tomas Winkler [mailto:tomasw@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:04 PM
To: Michael Wu
Cc: mabbas; John W. Linville; linux-wireless@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Jouni
Malinen; Simon Barber
Subject: Re: [patch 2/5] Add basic support for IEEE 802.11n discovery
and association

On 4/11/07, Michael Wu <flamingice@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 April 2007 16:04, mabbas wrote:
> > I am not familiar with userspace mlme what needed to be done?
> mac80211 has a userspace mlme mode which defers all things dealing
> with management frames to userspace (wpa_supplicant). It basically
> disables all the code in ieee80211_sta.c and routes management frames
> to a special interface where wpa_supplicant (or hostap) handles
> things. This is preferred and the ieee80211_sta.c code is there for
backwards compatibility.

> No major features should be added to the in-kernel MLME
> (ieee80211_sta.c) but even more importantly, your patch series does
> not provide the appropriate hooks for a userspace MLME to support a
driver using this 802.11n API.

> -Michael Wu

Meanwhile I don't see feasible user space implementation for this as
data packet classification is done in kernel. BACK streams are
dynamically  opened and teared down per TID according current traffic
shape.
This is new feature and the user space handling is not well understand
yet. I suggest that we proceed with patches and let the evolution making
its steps.

If someone has concrete suggestion on implementing it as user space MLME
I will be glad to hear.
Thanks

Tomas

-