Search Linux Wireless

Re: OpenBSD bcw: Possible GPL license violation issues

On Thursday 05 April 2007 19:00, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > No. I'd like _you_ to make "your" developers aware of the issue
> > that you'd like to have the openbsd tree clean, in the first place.
>
> I make developers aware.  Marcus was aware.  He made a few mistakes.
> You don't believe him.
>
> That's fine.  We don't believe your public flogging was the kind and
> right way to approach this whole problem.
>
> But the issue is over.  The code has been entirely deleted.
>
> I hope you are happy.  I am sure Marcus is not happy, because he's
> thrown away about 800 hours of hobby work.  But it is easier for him
> to just abandon this, based on the strength of your initial mail.

I'm sorry if the mail sounded too strong. This was not intentional.
But I think I made a great effort to make this clear, though.
I am not out for blood.

> I mean, if I were him, why would I bother going on,

To get your broadcom cards working on bsd??
Really, there's no single other reason to write a driver.

> when there are
> accusations about copyright being based on white space, variable
> names which are the same, or simple "save the registers" algorithms
> which you feel are too similar.

I did _never_ base by arguments on these things. I explicitely
marked these things in the mail as being EXAMPLES for the most
obvious 1:1 copying going on.

> I'd say he did the right thing to give up.

Only if you don't need a Broadcom wireless driver.

--
Greetings Michael.
-