Search Linux Wireless

mac80211 vs. hostapd

Hello all,
can somebody explain the relationship between hostapd and mac80211? To be more specific:

I'm used to the Madwifi driver where one could create a virtual interface in AP mode and the net80211
stack included in Madwifi would then provide the AP functionality.
I understand that things are differently with mac80211 based drivers. The kernel part of the stack does
not include the AP functionality at all. Handling of associated stations is done by hostapd. Is this
correct so far? Does "iwconfig wlan0 mode master" have any meaning? How does one create multiple
virtual interfaces (the equivalent of Madwifis wlanconfig command)?

If so, I could not find a sample configuration for hostapd that provides a simple, unsecured AP.
I suspect that this is because traditionally hostapd has only been used to provide a WPA secured AP.

Is this the right list to ask for such a sample configuration?

--

Thanks in advance and kind regards

       Joerg