Search Linux Wireless

Re: WPA/RSN information in cfg80211?

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 00:34 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> Looking through wpa_supplicant and then through the kernel I notice that
> we currently in the kernel special-case some things in SIOCSIWAUTH, for
> example IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION is ignored since we rely on the IE that wpa
> supplicant gave us.
>
> Apart from how wrong I think this is (we shouldn't be allowing a setting
> we can't do, we need to return some error code and wpa_supplicant should
> sort it out) I also found only one occurrence in prism54 where the
> parameters are actually not ignored. Is that driver fully replaced by
> p54?
>
> Is there any point in supporting these at all? Does the Libertas 8388
> requires the settings as well instead of just the IE to include?

Libertas driver just uses the WPA1/2 selector stuff internally to figure
out what BSS to associate with; I don't think it's actually needed and
it could certainly be scraped from the IE that the user sets.

For the prism54 driver, I was just translating what the
HOSTAP/PRISM2_IOCTL things did.  I never quite understood why there was
a WPA_VERSION selector in IWAUTH, because I thought the IE did that for
us :)

Dan

-