Search Linux Wireless

Re: Question about PRISM2 header rate field

On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 22:10 -0500, Michael Wu wrote:

> Note that modifying the management interface to do this is possible, but it
> would break hostap (and probably wpa_supplicant w/ MLME). Doing packet
> injection on monitor interfaces instead is safer in that regard.

But if you want to do injection over monitor interfaces we'll need to
have the stupid mgmt interface hack around forever for the userspace
MLME so it can receive only management traffic (even the non-promisc
monitor iface we should have gets *far* too much traffic for a userspace
MLME)

Besides, to userspace, this is almost identical. In both cases it opens
a socket, binds to something (either raw socket bound to netdev or
netlink socket bound to nl80211) and then stuffs frames into that socket
with some fixed header format (for most apps anyway)

johannes