Search Linux Wireless

Re: d80211: current TKIP hwcrypto implementation seems to be broken

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 00:15, Tomas Winkler wrote:
> I fetching this from my "dusty" memory so I hope I'm right about it.
> TKIP phase1 one can be precomputed in advance. There's no runtime

Phase1 key changes on iv32 wrap.

> dependency after key exchange.
> Cached keys can be provided by supplicant. Usually u want to keep 2 or
> 3 cached TKIP phase1 for smooth decryption. As in QoS sequence

Hardware (bcm43xx at least) can only have one key at a time.
There's no point in caching, as phase1 key calculation is cheap
and can be done on-the-run. The expensive part it uploading it to HW.

> counters are kept per AC, you might get into gentle state of receiving
> packets for the old key. If  you hold more then one  phase1 you might
> be able decrypt the packets that doesn't match current phase1 in
> software.

You can generate the new key then. There is no point in wasting memory
by precomputation of the keys.

--
Greetings Michael.
-