IEEE 802.16d

As of 802.16-2009 there is no more mention about 'mesh'.
So any kind of WiMAX hardware can support only BS or CPE mode of operation.
Intel hardware, linux support for which is discussed here, is CPE mode
hardware and cannot operate as BS.
And I believe it also cannot support 802.16-2009 fixed mode operation
(former 802.16-2004 or 802.16d).
Also, I believe, that there is no CPE chipset, which designed to support BS
mode.
Some of 802.16-2004 chipsets, designed for BS mode, can support CPE mode
though.
But there is no open-source support for it.

--
//batcilla