Wimax 6260 + FreshTel

Hi Oleksa,

I did the following steps to get WiMAX working through VirtualBox, and
then expose the Internet to the Linux host:

0) Unload and blacklist the WiMAX kernel modules in the Linux host to
avoid a conflict.

1) Create a VirtualBox virtual machine, install Windows.  (I used XP
because I have an old license, and it also happens to be the oldest and
leanest Windows that supports WiMAX.)

2) In the VirtualBox device menu, expose the WiMAX USB device to the
Windows guest.

3) Download and install Intel Proset. (In my case, I first had to
install an updated Windows Installer and .Net 2.0 .  Also, since I am
using the generic Intel driver for a Lenovo WiMAX chip, I had to
download and run iWiMAXtool to modify the registry.  Otherwise, I
would get a "WiMAX is not ready" error in wimaxcu.)

3) Connect to a WiMAX service.  (In my case, with UQ in Japan, I had to
use IE, turn off the firewall and relax the ActiveX security controls
in order for the OMA-DM to work.)

4) Going to the properties dialog for the WiMAX local area network
connection, turn on Internet Connection Sharing.  Then, in the
VirtualBox network menu, switch the primary network connection to
"Host-only Adapter" and make sure "Cable connected" is enabled.

5) Using nslookup or a similar tool in the Windows guest, look up the
nameservers for your WiMAX provider and create a resolv.conf in the
host.

6) In the Linux host, bring down the other Internet connections (e.g.,
WiFi) to avoid confusing apps.  Copy the resolv.conf to /etc, and add a
default route using the VirtualBox network device ("vboxnet0") as the
gateway.

WiMAX internet should now be available to the Linux host.  To save
some CPU, you can try running the virtual machine headless.  And, I
suppose that the process of launching the virtual machine and changing
the Linux network settings can be automated by a script.

Good luck!

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:58:05 +0200
Oleksa Stasevych <oleksiy.stasevych at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Have you setup Intel Proset? And made a virtual interface through
> Virtual Box? I tried to do this under wine, but unsucceeded... :(
>
> Oleksa
>

> 2010/12/19  <hypnos75 at gmail.com>:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would also like a link to this "iTool" -- can't find anything on
> > Google.
> >
> > I succeeded in getting past the UQ Wimax startup page in a
> > Windows guest on VirtualBox, and I now have a WiMAX_DB.bin that
> > presumably contains the necessary credentials for getting onto the
> > UQ network through my account. ?Unfortunately, I can't make enough
> > sense of the file to decode it ...
> >

> > Thank you :)
> >

> > On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 08:47:40 -0000
> > "Dermot Williams" <Dermot.Williams at imaginegroup.ie> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Do you have a link to iTool?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Dermot
> >>
> >> On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 08:10 +0200, Oleksa Stasevych wrote:
> >>

> >> ? ? ? Hi Inaky.
> >>
> >> ? ? ? Please, find in archive. I extracted them using iTool.
> >> ? ? ? I will be appreciative for your kind support how to use them
> >> to connect to the Freshtel Wimax channel.
> >>
> >> ? ? ? WBR,
> >> ? ? ? Oleksa
> >>
> >> ? ? ? 17.12.10 01:34, Inaky Perez-Gonzalez ???????(??):
> >> ? ? ? > On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 22:28 +0200, Oleksa Stasevych wrote:
> >> ? ? ? >> Hi.
> >> ? ? ? >> Thank you for reply. But I suceeded to unpack those
> >> ? ? ? >> windows *.bin files and found info about the frequency
> >> ? ? ? >> etc....
> >> ? ? ? >
> >> ? ? ? > Oh, then please post it -- then it should be easy to put it
> >> ? ? ? > in your Linux box.
> >> ? ? ? >
> >> ? ? ? >> Why scrambled?
> >> ? ? ? >
> >> ? ? ? > *shurg* I wish I knew...
> >> ? ? ? >
> >> ? ? ? >

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Linux Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]