Compile for Big-Endian ARM

Hi Doug

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 11:44 -0800, Doug Kehn wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm attempting to use WiMAX Tools and WiMAX Network Service on an Intel
>  IXP-435 processor (ARM-XScale, big-endian).  The kernel is 2.6.36.
>  The i2400 driver is from the kernel.  The tool-chain is from
>  crosstools-ng and is uClibc based.
>
> The i2400 driver loads and wmx0 is created.
>
> WiMAX Tools cross compiled without any problems.  Endianness and architecture appear to be handled properly.
>
> WiMAX Network Service needed some massaging to compile.  uClibc doesn't
>  support backtrace; the backtrace calls were commented out.  I noticed
>  that BMI_MACHINE_ENDIANNESS_LITTE and BMI_ENDIANNESS_LITTLE were hard
>  coded into Makefile.am/Makefile.in.  This was resolved by fixing up
>  the generated Makefile after running configure.  I noticed that
>  BitmanCommon.h has __ARMCC_VERSION and __arm.  If either of these are
>  defined, WiMAX Network Service fails to compile.  The _packed syntax
>  use doesn't appear to be correct when __arm gets defined.
>
> WiMAX Network Service compiles if __ARMCC_VERSION and __arm are not
>  defined.  The resulting binary produces SIGSEGV in
>  FSM_SetStateIfNotEqual when attempting to get fsm->csLock.  Debugging
>  the problem shows that fsm->csLock is getting corrupted when
>  fsm->hWaitingStateEvent is initialized in FSM_Init.  I assume this
>  might be due to alignment/packing problems.
>
> Has anyone compiled/used WiMAX Tools/Network Service on Big-Endian ARM?

I have never heard of anyone using big endian; some people have reported
success on other non-IA architectures (MIPS, ppc and LE ARM, if memory
serves), but never big endian. The driver, stack and wimax-tools code
should be fairly endian-transparent, but I don't know about the daemon.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Linux Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]