LinuxWimax

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 22:32 -0500, Othniel Graichen wrote:
> I just found this mailing list and looked thru the archives.
>
> I live in San Antonio, Tx so I am asking about compatibility with the
> Clear.com service provider.
>
> I was unable to find any compatibility matrix for wimax cards, laptops
> and linux operating systems.

At this time, only Intel WiFi/WiMAX combo cards inside laptops are
supported, including the 5150, 5350, and 6x50 series.  USB dongles
aren't supported because these typically use chips for which there are
no Linux drivers.  That means you can't use the Motorola USB250 dongle,
or any of the Clear/Sprint USB devices for WiMAX connectivity (like the
U300, U301, etc).

> So #1, Is LinuxWimax part of the Ubuntu 10.4 release?

The kernel drivers definitely are, but I'm not sure if the other
necessary pieces are included.

> It seems like just a few lines in a terminal window are all that is
> needed.
>
> But it wasnt OS specific.  I am correct?  The commands are universal?
>
> Any compatibility possible with Older Ubuntus or is it just too
> painful?

Probably painful, but not impossible.

> How would I find what brands/models of laptops are compatible with
>
> an Intel Centrino Advanced-N WiMAX 6250 Adapter, Model: 622ANHMW -- a
> half card
>
> that I saw for sale here in the United States.

If you want to be 100% safe, buy one of the laptops that Clear
advertises is compatible with their service.  Most of these will run
Linux, and all of them include the Intel WiMAX combo cards.

> I Dont want to buy an engineering sample from Hong Kong.
>
> Does 622ANHMW work in a full size slot like on my Dell D820?

It might, but often laptop vendors restrict which cards can be installed
internally using BIOS whitelists.  For example, I cannot install an
intel 5350 card in my HP Elitebook 2530p because the BIOS only allows
the computer to boot if there are "approved" cards installed.  Dell
sometimes does this, but some models do not have the BIOS lock.  HP and
Lenovo is the worst offender here.

> How about in a Dell Vostro notebook?
>
> How about Lenovo Notebooks?

Probably not.

> Should I stay away from 5150 cards?
>
> How about the 5250?

There's nothing wrong with these cards except they have slightly less
capable WiFi, and they are older than the 6x00 cards that are now on the
market.

Dan

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Linux Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]