NDnSAgent XML files

On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 10:49 -0700, Brandon Dell wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Are there any plans in the future to not need these xml files to
> connect to a network?

Well, ideally you shouldn't have to deal with them because they'd be
obtained from the operator via OMA-DM -- however, there is no open
source OMA-DM client and implementing it is not a trivial task.

> Kind of like how any Wi-fi card can connect to any open access point?

In theoretical terms we could do the same...but...WiMAX's number of
possible channels you have to scan is staggering high, so that it is
not-practical (it'd kill your battery and then your patience too).
Just for the common parameters where, for example, Clearwire seats

FFT:       1024
bandwidth: 10000 MHz
frequencies: 2.2 GHz -> 6 GHz
  [the freq range is made up, but it more or less picks up every
frequency where I've seen networks, in labs and different operators /
test operations around the world]

so the way the wimax channels are deployed are: take that range, break
it up in steps of 250 KHz, with a bandwidth of 10 MHz (others are
possible) -- note they might overlap! --.

Scanning the 1520 channels (6 - 2.2 G / 250 KHz) is not a trivial task;
hence it is done so the carrier tells you which channels they operate
in, the XML file.

I wish there was a way for the carrier to bcast that information (along
with the EAP authentication parameters), but there is not :(

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Linux Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]