extending WiMAX network service to other chipsets

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 11:18 -0600, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 12:05 -0500, Hoi-Ho Chan wrote:
> > Hi Dan,
> >
> >     Is there a reason we do not modify Intel NS to support another
> > chipset instead of writing a vendor-specific NS? Or you think the
> > Intel NS is too specific that it is not possible to do so?
>
> We could modify the current Intel NS, but there are a few issues:
>
> 1) It uses the "code drop" model, where Intel pushes out new major
> This can be fixed if the wimax service was developed more publicly in an
> externally visible source-control repository, like the Linux kernel or
> many other open-source projects.

There is not much that can be done to change that, as of now :(

> 2) The current code is fairly byzantine :(  It re-implements a ton of
> functionality that is already provided by libraries like glib/qt,
> openssl/nss, and others.  It's quite convoluted and could be
> dramatically simpler.  Ideally, the Intel-specific stuff (for scans and
> whatnot) would simply be a plugin for a generic NS, and the generic NS
> would not be tied to Intel hardware while the small plugin would be.

Yep, that's the idea. That was captured in the summary Oleg made a
couple of weeks ago.

> I don't want to diminish the contribution that Intel has currently made
> with its open NS and driver stack.  But it can definitely be improved.
>
> As a connection manager writer, I would really like to see *one* common,
> generic Network Service that everyone can standardize around, much like
> Linux wifi has standardized around wpa_supplicant.  That would be great.
> But it's going to take some work to get there.  Often people take the
> easy path due to schedule pressures or time or whatever, which doesn't
> help us get to the nice bright rosy future though :(

Well, this is what I am working on in a best-effort basis, but I
currently have little to show other than the very-low level generic
primitives in the op_nap_scan branches of the wimax.git kernel tree and
wimax-tools.git tree. I am hoping to have more time these coming weeks
to advance.

--
-- Inaky

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Linux Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]