Intel 5350: Getting 2.6.29 driver code to work in 2.6.31 kernel

We did some further testing this morning, and the news from our situation is not good.

We purchased a second 5350 card from a second vendor.  We tried to boot it up, and it behaved differently on my Dell laptop, but still refused to work.  It no longer threw an error on the usb loading, but instead threw a different error.  Here is the dmesg output:

Nov 24 10:34:25 0973-kfries kernel: [  420.538111] usb 1-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Nov 24 10:34:26 0973-kfries kernel: [  420.707435] i2400m_usb 1-4:1.0: firmware: requesting i2400m-fw-usb-1.4.sbcf
Nov 24 10:34:26 0973-kfries kernel: [  421.060213] i2400m_usb: probe of 1-4:1.0 failed with error -5

But my Dell laptop is not the machine we ultimately need this to work on.  So, we tried putting this onto our Intel Atom based prototypes.  The new card failed on these prototypes exactly as before, 512b transfered out of 16k.

I noticed that laptop had a 2.6.31-12 kernel, and the prototype had a 2.6.31-11.  So, I did an upgrade on the kernel.  It jumped all the way up to 2.6.31-15.  Upon reboot, checked the error messages, and sure enough, the firmware transfer error was still there.  This is now the 4th different build of the same Ubuntu kernel, and two different cards with identical results.  Given the other issues found in Karmic, just for S&G, has anybody tried this card on a non-Ubuntu based 2.6.31 kernel such as Fedora 12?

Seems to me that driver isn't the issue here... this is firmware, not driver.  The firmware needs to be loaded so the device can be recognized by the driver.  The errors above points more to a driver error, than the transfer message we have been following.  Could it be something in Ubuntu's kernel compile settings and this particular piece of hardware that is causing an issue.  This error sorta reminds me of the iPhones in reverse.  Where Apple jacked with the USB handshaking and messed up everybody.  In that case, the device was seen by Linux, but it could not talk to it... Driver/Handshaking problem.  This is not getting that far before the catastrophic event.  So, I repeat, could this be strictly an distro problem, and not a kernel or driver issue?

Just asking, sometimes it too easy to overlook the obvious.

Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer
Computer and Communications Technology, Inc
A division of Japan Communications Inc
(303) 708-9228 x326