usb dongle enumerate as mass storage device

On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 11:50 -0800, Inaky Perez-Gonzalez wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 November 2008, charles zhuang wrote:
>
> > The Asus dongle will be seen as a mass storage device, it contain
> > bunches of windows program, setup.exe, dll, cab file. When I plug in to
> > windows, it will install the wimax driver, but failed to install the usb
> > driver. From the network connection (windows), I do see a new Ethernet
> > connection.\
>
> My guess is you see that connection *after* you install the driver, is that
> correct?
>
> > I found this confusing, is there a separate wimax dongle for linux and
> > for windows? I thought dongle itself will only contain the wimax mac and
> > RF, download a firmware from host to drive it, but looks like not.
>
> Not necessarily, but it is becoming more common that makers of USB device
> implement also an small flash disk (I guess it is cheap enough) so it also
> serves to distribute drivers.
>
> Chances are this dongle won't work in Linux -- unless ASus goes around and
> implements the support for it.

If the mass-storage device is a "driver cd" thing, then the correct
method for "fixing" these devices is to write a small shim driver for
libusual that (by default) simply ejects the mass-storage device
whenever it's inserted, but allows override of this behavior using a
module parameter.  See the following Sierra TruInstall patches for how
this should happen:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=32fe5e393455d87db4988af03915634304870fb4
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=0585e4dfe5670d3ccb77bf86551a657699e9e52e

If it's actually a slot for a micro-SD card or something like that, then
obviously you'd want to have both the mass-storage device and the modem
working at the same time, but the method of doing so may be hardware
dependent.

Dan

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Linux Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]