Subject: [RFC] DBUS interface to Linux WiMax stack.

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 17:37 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> > > The attached files represent a proposed dbus based API to access the
> > > Linux WiMax stack.  This proposal is the result of a number of
> > > discussions over the last few months at OLS and the plumbers
> > > conference.
> > >
> > > Overview:
> > > There are two object types used to access the WiMax stack the adapter
> > > and network object.
> > >
> > > The adapter (adapter-api.txt) object is created when the hardware
> > > device is discovered in the system. This object is used to control the
> > > state of the adapter and the process of scanning for available
> > > networks.
> > >
> > > The network (network-api.txt) object is created when a network is
> > > discovered via the adapter.Scan() method.  This object is used to
> > > control the state and report information about available network
> > > connections.
> > >
> > > There is one helper agent (agent-api.txt) that is meant to call out to
> > > gather user credentials i.e.(username, password).  The current file is
> > > just a placeholder.
> > >
> > > Comments and suggestions gratefully accepted.
> >
> > One general comment before I go through it in more detail.  The methods
> > dealing with Properties are redundant, since there's a standard D-Bus
> > interface specification for object properties.  Check out:
> >
> > http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html
>
> the reason why I am for example not using the property standard in BlueZ
> is because dbus-glib is the most braindead implementation of it all.

So what does dbus-glib have to do with it?  Nothing.  Whatever code
implements this will do so in the manner it likes, using dbus-glib,
libgdbus, eggdbus, or one of the other zillion libdbus rewrites out
there.  Doesn't matter.

It's simply pointless to use something else.  Don't do it.  It's a PITA.
Use the standardized interfaces.

Dan

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Linux Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]