Re: iTCO core dumping on timeout ?

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 06:43:05PM +0000, Daniel Walker (danielwa) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At Cisco we typical dump a core file in crash cases, and in watchdog timeouts.
>
> It doesn't appear that the iTCO is setup to trigger a core dump, or panic. It
> looks like it just reboots on triggering.
>
> Is there a method I'm missing which would allow selecting a core or panic for
> this driver?

The iTCO (or at least some versions of it) can be configured for a dual timeout,
where the first timeout would generate an NMI and the second reset the system.
There have been a couple of submissions to introduce that functionality into
the driver, but none was followed through. Search for

"watchdog: iTCO_wdt: Introduce panic_on_timeout module param"
"watchdog: add NMI handler for iTCO watchdog"

for some history. The underlying problem is that there are several versions of
this hardware, and they all behave differently. This makes it difficult to
introduce such a change. On top of that, I am not sure if some of the registers
would have to be programmed by the BIOS.

Guenter

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]