Re: Implement status function in watchdog core

Hi Guenter,

> On 07/17/2016 12:59 PM, Wim Van Sebroeck wrote:
> >Hi Guenter,
> >
> >I didn't find the following patches that are in your tree in my e-mail:
> >watchdog: Improve description of min_hw_heartbeat_ms
> >watchdog: Implement status function in watchdog core
> >watchdog: sbsa: Drop status function
> >watchdog: tangox: Mark running watchdog correctly
> >watchdog: Eliminate status callback
> >

> Interesting. I checked my logs ... looks like I never sent those to the
> list. Oops :-(. Sorry for that; I thought I did.

No problem :-)

> >I added "watchdog: Improve description of min_hw_heartbeat_ms" and
> >"watchdog: tangox: Mark running watchdog correctly" to the
> >linux-watchdog-next tree.
> >

> Great, thanks!
>
> >I didn't add the status function implementation. The reason is because
> >there are cards that have means to read certain info life (like pcwd cards
> >and the wdt cards). The implementation doesn't foresee this functionality
> >and thus should be corrected first. (for these cards you want to call the
> >status functions of these cards).
>
> Ok, thanks for letting me know. I'll have another look.
>
> What would be the best approach to use for those drivers ? Overlay the data
> from the driver with the data from the watchdog core, or completely rely
> on the data from the driver ?

If the status function call exists, use that one of the driver if not fallback to the generic framework.
But the WDIOF_MAGICCLOSE and WDIOF_KEEPALIVEPING should be looked at seperately: they might need to always be in the generic framework.

Kind regards,
Wim.