Watchdog soft timer

I am currently working on the bcm47xx_wdt driver and it uses some soft
timer, because some devices have a max timeout of 2 seconds. The kernel
timer pings the hardware watchdog every second and the userspace just
have to ping the driver e.g. every 30 seconds. I saw that 12 drivers in
drivers/watchdog/ are currently calling setup_timer and are probably
doing something similar to the bcm47xx_wdt driver.

I think this soft timer in between should go into watchdog_core.c. A
driver should set some option in struct watchdog_device to request a
soft timer in between and set the maximum timeout of the hardware timer
and then gets pinged e.g. every second or even more often and
watchdog_core.c abstracts that the user space just have to ping the
kernel e.g. every 30 seconds. This would just work for drivers using
struct watchdog_ops, but could make some driver smaller. This could also
be activated if a driver sets a maximum timeout of e.g. less then 5
seconds, then the interface does not have to be changes.

Hauke