Looking for help and advice on using RPMSG-over-VIRTIO

I am working on adding SR-IOV for a new adapter and need to find a way
to communicate between guest and host drivers without using the adapter
hardware. I have been looking at RPMSG-over-VIRTIO as a way to this, but
have not been able to figure out how the host would setup the RPMSG
device needed for this.

I have seen at least one bug in virtio_rpmsg_bus that was discovered and
fixed by qemu developers, and so am hoping there may be some experience
with rpmsg here that can help.

I see an example in the Linux kernel for using rpmsg from the guest
(client) side, in samples/rpmsg/rpmsg_client_sample.c. What I'm having
difficulty with is finding examples or documentation on how to do the
host side. I have heard that the VMMs may also play a role in setting
this up, or are doing something similar, but so far I am not able to
find code examples in qemu or libvert.

Any help would be appreciated,
Doug

External recipient