Re: How to implement message forwarding from one CID to another in vhost driver

Hey Stefano,
Apart from my questions in my previous email, I have some others as well.

If the vhost-device-vsock modification to forward packets to
VMADDR_CID_LOCAL is implemented, does the VMADDR_FLAG_TO_HOST need to
be set by any application in the guest? I understand that the flag is
set automatically in the listen path by the driver (ref:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netdev/patch/20201204170235.84387-4-andraprs@xxxxxxxxxx/#2594117
), but from the comments in the referenced patch, I am guessing the
applications in the guest that will "connect" (as opposed to listen)
will need to set the flag in the application code? So does the
VMADDR_FLAG_TO_HOST flag need to be set by the applications in the
guest that will "connect" or should it work without it? I am asking
because the nitro-enclave VMs have an "init" which tries to connect to
CID 3 to send a "hello" on boot to let the parent VM know that it
booted expecting a "hello" reply but the init doesn't seem to set the
flag https://github.com/aws/aws-nitro-enclaves-sdk-bootstrap/blob/main/init/init.c#L356C1-L361C7
.

I was following
https://github.com/rust-vmm/vhost-device/tree/main/vhost-device-vsock#sibling-vm-communication
to test if sibling communication works and it seems like I didn't need
to modify the "socat" to set the "VMADDR_FLAG_TO_HOST". I am wondering
why it works without any modification. Here is what I do:

shell1: ./vhost-device-vsock --vm
guest-cid=3,uds-path=/tmp/vm3.vsock,socket=/tmp/vhost3.socket --vm
guest-cid=4,uds-path=/tmp/vm4.vsock,socket=/tmp/vhost4.socket

shell2: ./qemu-system-x86_64 -machine q35,memory-backend=mem0
-enable-kvm -m 8G -nic user,model=virtio -drive
file=/home/dorjoy/Forks/test_vm/fedora2.qcow2,media=disk,if=virtio
--display sdl -object memory-backend-memfd,id=mem0,size=8G -chardev
socket,id=char0,reconnect=0,path=/tmp/vhost3.socket -device
vhost-user-vsock-pci,chardev=char0
    inside this guest I run: socat - VSOCK-LISTEN:9000

shell3: ./qemu-system-x86_64 -machine q35,memory-backend=mem0
-enable-kvm -m 8G -nic user,model=virtio -drive
file=/home/dorjoy/Forks/test_vm/fedora40.qcow2,media=disk,if=virtio
--display sdl -object memory-backend-memfd,id=mem0,size=8G -chardev
socket,id=char0,reconnect=0,path=/tmp/vhost4.socket -device
vhost-user-vsock-pci,chardev=char0
    inside this guest I run: socat - VSOCK-CONNECT:3:9000

Then when I type something in the socat terminal of one VM and hit
'enter', they pop up in the socat terminal of the other VM. From the
documentation of the vhost-device-vsock, I thought I would need to
patch socat to set the "VMADDR_FLAG_TO_HOST" but I did not do anything
with socat. I simply did "sudo dnf install socat" in both VMs. I also
looked into the socat source code and I didn't see any reference to
"VMADDR_FLAG_TO_HOST". I am running "Fedora 40" on both VMs. Do you
know why it works without the flag?