Re: ACPI timeouts when enabling KASAN

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 06:12:10PM +0200, Ricardo Ribalda wrote:
> > Doing the proper comparison (disabling kvm), adding '-cpu max' to the
> > equation and measuring the boot time of multiple virtme-ng runs, gives
> > me the following result (average of 10 runs):
> >
> >                      machine
> >               +----------------
> >               | default     q35
> >      ---------+----------------
> > cpu  |default |     13s     11s
> >      |max     |     15s     14s
> >
> > I've tried a couple of kernel configs and I get similar results.
> >
> > In the scope of virtme-ng (optimize boot time) I'd say that it'd makes
> > sense to use '-machine q35' and default cpu settings when kvm is
> > unavailable.
> >
> > Ricardo, do you see similar results?
>
> I see even more difference between q35 and default.
> These are my kernel options:
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/linux-media/media-ci/-/blob/main/test-virtme.sh?ref_type=heads#L27

Ok, I'll run some tests with these options as well.

> I see an issue to automatically set the machine and it is that  we
> would not be able to override it with something like:
>
> virtme-run .......... --qemu-opts -machine q35

If I'm not wrong the last one should override the previous ones,
so --qemu-opts should still win over the default.

> If this patch lands in qemu we might be able to ignore all these:
> https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/20240417135608.2613586-1-ribalda@xxxxxxxxxxxx/T/#u

Yep, this is much better, thanks for this fix. Let's keep the defaults
for now in virtme-ng, I'll just add a note to the troubleshooting
section.

Thanks!
-Andrea