Re: virtio-fs: adding support for multi-queue

On Wed, Feb 08, 2023 at 05:29:25PM +0100, Peter-Jan Gootzen wrote:
> On 08/02/2023 11:43, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:

> > > There is technically nothing preventing us from consuming a single queue on
> > > multiple cores, however our current Virtio implementation (DPU-side) is set
> > > up with the assumption that you should never want to do that (concurrency
> > > mayham around the Virtqueues and the DMAs). So instead of putting all the
> > > work into reworking the implementation to support that and still incur the
> > > big overhead, we see it more fitting to amend the virtio-fs driver with
> > > multi-queue support.

> > > It is a theory, but we are currently seeing that using the single request
> > > queue, the single core attending to that queue on the DPU is reasonably
> > > close to being fully saturated.

> > > I figure this would be dependent on the workload and the users-needs.
> > > Having many cores concurrently pulling on their own virtq and then
> > > immediately process the request locally would of course improve performance.
> > > But we are offloading all this work to the DPU, for providing
> > > high-throughput cloud services.
> >
> > I think Vivek is getting at whether your code processes requests
> > sequentially or in parallel. A single thread processing the virtqueue
> > that hands off requests to worker threads or uses io_uring to perform
> > I/O asynchronously will perform differently from a single thread that
> > processes requests sequentially in a blocking fashion. Multiqueue is not
> > necessary for parallelism, but the single queue might become a
> > bottleneck.
>
> Requests are handled non-blocking with remote IO on the DPU. Our current
> architecture is as follows:
> T1: Tends to the Virtq, parses FUSE to remote IO and fires off the
> asynchronous remote IO.
> T2: Polls for completion on the remote IO and parses it back to FUSE, puts
> the FUSE buffers in a completion queue of T1.
> T1: Handles the Virtio completion and DMA of the requests in the CQ.
>
> Thread 1 is busy polling on its two queues (Virtq and CQ) with equal
> priority, thread 2 is busy polling as well. This setup is not really
> optimal, but we are working within the constraints of both our DPU and
> remote IO stack.
> Currently we are able to get with sequential single job 4k throughput:
> Write: 246MiB/s
> Read: 20MiB/s

I had been doing some performance benchmarking for virtiofs and I found
some old results.

https://github.com/rhvgoyal/virtiofs-tests/tree/master/performance-results/feb-10-2021

While running on top of local fs, with bs=4K, with single queue I could
achieve more than 600MB/s.

NAME                    WORKLOAD                Bandwidth       IOPS
default                 seqread-psync           625.0mb         156.2k
no-tpool                seqread-psync           660.8mb         165.2k

But catch here I think is that host is doing the caching. In your
case I am assuming there is no caching at DPU and all the I/O is
going to remote storage (which might be doing caching in memory).

Anyway, point I am trying to make is that even with single vq, virtiofs
can push a reasonable amount of I/O.

I will be cuirous to find how multiqueue can improve these numbers
further.

> We are not sure yet where the bottleneck is for reads, we hope to be able to
> match it to the write speed. For writes the two main bottlenecks we see are:
> the single Virtq (so limited parallelism on the DPU and remote-side) and
> that virtio-fs IO is constrained to the page size of 4k (NFS for example,
> who we are trying to replace, sees huge performance gains with larger block
> sizes).

I am wondering how did you conclude that single vq is the bottleneck for
performance and not the remote storage DPU is sending I/O to.

Thanks
Vivek