Re: The arm smmu driver for Linux does not support debugfs

On 2022-11-15 02:28, leo-hou@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

      Why doesn't the arm smmu driver for Linux support debugfs ?

Because nobody's ever written any debugfs code for it.

Are there any historical reasons?

Only that so far nobody's needed to.

TBH, arm-smmu is actually quite straightforward, and none of the internal driver state is really all that interesting (other than the special private Adreno stuff, but we leave it up to Rob to implement whatever he needs there). Given the kernel config, module parameters, and the features logged at probe, you can already infer how it will set up context banks etc. for regular IOMMU API work; there won't be any surprises. At this point there shouldn't be any need to debug the driver itself, it's mature and stable. For debugging *users* of the driver, I've only dealt with the DMA layer, where a combination of the IOMMU API tracepoints, CONFIG_DMA_API_DEBUG, and my own hacks to iommu-dma have always proved sufficient to get enough insight into what's being mapped where.

I think a couple of people have previously raised the idea of implementing some kind of debugfs dumping for io-pgtable, but nothing's ever come of it. As above, it often turns out that you can find the information you need from other existing sources, thus the effort of implementing and maintaining a load of special-purpose debug code can be saved. In particular it would not be worth having driver-specific code that only helps debug generic IOMMU API usage - that would be much better implemented at the generic IOMMU API level.

Thanks,
Robin.