Re: [RFC v2] virtio-vsock: add description for datagram type

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 04:26:03PM -0700, Jiang Wang . wrote:
On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 7:52 AM Stefano Garzarella <sgarzare@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, May 07, 2021 at 09:53:19AM -0700, Jiang Wang . wrote:

[...]

I was thinking if we don't add two new virtqueues, then maybe we don't
need to add new feature bit too? If the other end does not support
dgram, then the packets will be just dropped. What do you think? Do
we still need to add dgram feature bits? I can have a feature bit for
mergeable buffer.

With seqpacket, where we reuse stream queues, we decided to add the new feature bit, so I guess we should do the same for dgram.

In this way the driver knows if the protocol is supported and we can avoid for example to open a listening socket.

Without the feature bit this would not be possible. I mean, the sender will get an error, but the receiver will never know if it can receive or not.

>What do you guys think? I remember Stefano mentioned that we should >add
>two new virtqueues for dgram. Stefano, do you have some specific reasons
>for that? Could we just keep using existing virtqueues? Thanks.

My biggest concern was about the credit mechanism for datagrams. I mean
avoiding datagrams from crowding the queue without limits, preventing
streams from communicating.

If you've found a way to limit datagram traffic, then maybe it's doable.

I see. I will add some limit to dgram packets. Also, when the virtqueues
are shared between stream and dgram, both of them need to grab a lock
before using the virtqueue, so one will not completely block another one.

I'm not worried about the concurrent access that we definitely need to handle with a lock, but more about the uncontrolled packet sending that dgram might have, flooding the queues and preventing others from communicating.

So having 2 dedicated queues could avoid a credit mechanism at all for connection-less sockets, and simply the receiver discards packets that it can't handle.

Thanks,
Stefano