Re: Balloon pressuring page cache

On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 10:58:14AM +0100, David Hildenbrand wrote:

> >> There is only a single bitmap for that purpose. (well, the one where KVM
> >> syncs to)

> >> round dirty recording.
> >>
> >> It is guaranteed to work reliably without this feature as you only clear what
> >> *has been migrated*,
> >
> > Not "clear what has been migrated" (that skips nothing..)
> > Anyway, it's a hint used for optimization.
>
> Yes, an optimization that might easily lead to data corruption when the
> two bitmaps are either not in place or don't play along in that specific
> way (and I suspect this is the case under TCG).

So I checked and TCG has two copies too.
Each block has bmap used for migration and also dirty_memory
where pages are marked dirty. See cpu_physical_memory_sync_dirty_bitmap.

So from QEMU POV, there is a callback that tells balloon when it's safe
to request hints. As that affects the bitmap, that must not happen in
parallel with dirty bitmap handling. Sounds like a reasonable
limitation.

The hint can be useful outside migration, but in its current form
needs to then be non-destructive.
E.g. I can imaging userspace calling MADV_SOFT_OFFLINE on the hinted
memory.

Again a flag that tells guest it should wait until used
could be a reasonable expension. If we stick to the shrinker
it's actually implementable easily. With an OOM notifier - I'm not so
sure ...

And a big part of the problem is that after all this time the page
hinting interfaces are still undocumented. Quite sad really :(