0-copy (was Re: question: asynchronous notification from vhost)

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 11:23:13AM +0200, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm developing a virtualised audio / DSP virtio and vhost driver pair
> and I'm currently somewhat stuck trying to figure out how to
> asynchronously notify the guest from the vhost driver. I'm using the
> vhost_add_used_and_signal() function to return data back to the guest
> in the guest context, when the guest initiated an operation, that's
> working well. But how do I "kick" the guest from an asynchronous, e.g.
> from an interrupt thread context?

I think I've solved that by using a vhost work queue. That brings me
one step further, possibly, to the last larger problem to solve: the
actual data transmission. My preference would be to use zero-copy
for that, but so far I only see one example of zero-copy in
drivers/vhost - in net.c and only in TX direction. As far as I
understand that isn't a principal limitation of the vhost / virtio
API, rather it's related to certain networking specifics. Am I
right? Is it supposed to work in both firections, or are there
problems?

Thanks
Guennadi