Re: bonding (IEEE 802.3ad) not working with qemu/virtio

Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 07:59:24AM CET, davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>From: Nikolay Aleksandrov <nikolay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 22:48:26 +0100

>>> 	Should virtio instead provide an arbitrary speed and full duplex
>>> to ethtool, as veth does?
>>>
>>> 	Creating a magic whitelist of devices deep inside the 802.3ad
>>> implementation seems less desirable.
>>>
>> TBH, I absolutely agree. In fact here's what we've been doing:
>> add set_settings which allows the user to set any speed/duplex
>> and get_settings of course to retrieve that. This is also useful
>> for testing other stuff that requires speed and duplex, not only
>> for the bonding case.
>
>I also agree.  Having a whitelist is just rediculous.
>
>There should be a default speed/duplex setting for such devices as well.
>We can pick one that will be use universally for these kinds of devices.

Exposing made up speed for veth and virtio_net sounds odd to me. User
see 10000Mb/s but it makes no sense at all. It is just confusing.

I believe this is bonding bug and should be fixed in there. Team works
fine with virtio_net device and lacp runner.