virtio-net TSO Lockup

We've been encountering an issue in the virtio-net driver that cause it to become unresponsive after a period of high load. This issue goes away if we disable TSO on the interface.

Once this issue has been triggered, the interface can still receive traffic, but will not transmit anything.

Specifically:
* Initially the machine will still try to respond to packets (I say try, because I see the packets in tcpdump, but the counters shown by 'ip -s -d link show eth1' do not increment. I also do not see the packets make it to the upstream network interface) * After a little while (1-2 minutes), I stop seeing the response packets in tcpdump. (In this case I'm looking for ARP request/replies, so the requests still come in, but the responses do not go out. This is not limited to just ARP, the interface will not respond at all) * If I leave a ping running while the interface is broken, eventually I start seeing 'ping: sendmsg: No buffer space available'

I've reproduced this on a few Ubuntu kernel builds (3.13.0-53-generic and 4.0.7-040007-generic), and a few CentOS kernels (2.6.32-504.16.2.el6.x86_64, 4.1.1-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64) so I do not believe this to be distribution specific.

If I restart the machine (just issuing a server level 'reboot' command, not restarting qemu itself), the adapter starts working properly again.

Interestingly, these machines have two virtio NICs, and this only seems to occur for one of them (by this, I mean eth0 always works, and eth1 always breaks. If I remove eth0 from the machine, eth1 still breaks). On the host level, the broken one is a macvtap interface, while the working one is an tap device. We've seen this in the past with a different interface type (the qemu multicast NIC type), so I do not believe this is really relevant. If I switch the machines to using emulated e1000 nics, I can no longer reproduce the issue.

Reproduction is fairly easy, with two machines run `nc -lk 1818 | pv > /dev/null` on one, and `cat /dev/zero | pv | nc 10.99.0.100 1818` (the machine sending traffic will break within a minute or two). I can easily provide access to machines where the problem manifests, if that would be helpful.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. Tracking down a bug in the virtio driver is a bit above my skill level.