RE: RFC: vfio interface for platform devices

[cut]
> > So overall the interface and extension makes sense.  My only question is
> > whether it's better to get complete reuse out of GET_REGION_INFO and
> > GET_IRQ_INFO and then add another device tree specific ioctl or is it
> > better to add a device tree index and path to the existing GET_*_INFO
> > ioctls?  Getting some information from one ioctl and passing pieces of
> > it back to another ioctl feels a little clunky.
> >

> I thing at this point we should clearly separate the info we need to
> pass for the core functionality (assigning the device's resources),
> and the information we want to pass in order to generate a guest DT.
> For ARM a DT is not generated by QEMU yet, but instead a proper DTB
> needs to be passed by the user (granted, this will not be the case for
> ever). So I think even if we treat them the same in code, we should be
> discussing them separately.

We do need to keep core resources separate from what it takes
to generate a guest DT, but note the purpose of the devtree info
is not primarily to help generate a guest DT.

User space (not just QEMU) needs to know what the regions
and interrupts advertised by DEVICE_GET_INFO correspond to.
If there are 4 interrupts and 2 register regions, how does user
space know the purpose/function of each?
Apart from something like the devtree info I don't see
how a user space driver can know how to use the regions
and interrupts.   The kernel is not guaranteeing any
particular ordering of resources.

So in the DMA engine example I gave, the devtree info
let's user space know which interrupt corresponds to
which DMA channel.

QEMU is a special case in that it is going to expose
the device to a virtual machine and needs to generate
a normal device tree node...but that is a separate problem
that needs to be solved in QEMU.

Stuart