Re: [net-next rfc v7 1/3] virtio-net: separate fields of sending/receiving queue from virtnet_info

On Monday, December 03, 2012 12:25:42 PM Rusty Russell wrote:

> Jason Wang <jasowang@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > To support multiqueue transmitq/receiveq, the first step is to separate

> > queue related structure from virtnet_info. This patch introduce

> > send_queue and receive_queue structure and use the pointer to them as the

> > parameter in functions handling sending/receiving.

> OK, seems like a straightforward xform: a few nit-picks:

> > +/* Internal representation of a receive virtqueue */

> > +struct receive_queue {

> > + /* Virtqueue associated with this receive_queue */

> > + struct virtqueue *vq;

> > +

> > + struct napi_struct napi;

> > +

> > + /* Number of input buffers, and max we've ever had. */

> > + unsigned int num, max;

> Weird whitespace here.

Oh, yes, will fix it.

> > +

> > + /* Work struct for refilling if we run low on memory. */

> > + struct delayed_work refill;

> I can't really see the justificaiton for a refill per queue. Just have

> one work iterate all the queues if it happens, unless it happens often

> (in which case, we need to look harder at this anyway).

But during this kind of iteration, we may need enable/disable the napi regardless of whether the receive queue has lots to be refilled. This may add extra latency.

> > struct virtnet_info {

> > struct virtio_device *vdev;

> > - struct virtqueue *rvq, *svq, *cvq;

> > + struct virtqueue *cvq;

> > struct net_device *dev;

> > struct napi_struct napi;

> You leave napi here, and take it away in the next patch. I think it's

> supposed to go away now.

Yes, will remove it.

Thanks