Re: using cache for virtio allocations?

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 10:38:56AM +0200, Sasha Levin wrote:

>> > Since that is guest visible it does not sound great, I agree.
>> >
>> > Three ideas:
>> > 1. The logic looks at descriptor size so can we just read
>> >   desc.len before free and rerun the same math?
>>
>> It'll break every time the value is changed (either by the user or by
>> some dynamic algorithm thingie).
>
> Yes but did you intend to implement such complex logic?
> If not let's not over-engineer.

I did intend to allow him to change the value while the device is
running, if we don't want to allow that then it's easy.

>> > 2. For -net the requests are up to max_skb_frags + 2 in size, right?
>> >   Does it make sense to just use cache for net, always?
>> >   That would mean a per device flag.
>>
>> Yup, it could work.
>>
>> > 3. Allocate a bit more and stick extra data before the 1st descriptor.
>>
>> I guess it'll work, but it just seems a bit ugly :)
>
> An understatement.

>> > Not sure about platforms but for devices that's right.
>> > But this really only means we only change what we tested.
>> > eg see what is good for net and change net in a way
>> > that others will keep using old code.
>>
>> It'll work only if there will be someone following up and actually
>> testing it, since regular users won't be testing it at all (with it
>> being defaulted to off and everything).
>
> Not sure I understand. Whatever patch gets applied will be
> tested beforehand.

I thought you meant that we apply the patch with threshold set at
0/disabled, and based on future tests we will enable it for specific
devices and set best values for threshold, no?