Re: Patch to auto-load MSFT PV NIC driver

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 01:52:01PM +0000, Hank Janssen wrote:

> >From: Ky Srinivasan [ksrinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx]  -  Friday, May 07, 2010 4:52 PM
> >
> > I am attaching a patch to auto-load hv_netvsc.
>
> I am not sure if this is the right approach. hv_netvsc takes a dependency on hv_vmbus.
> hv_vmbus does have the same DMI detection logic in it. But unless hv_vmbus has loaded
> up competely, hv_netvsc will fail on loadup. And I do not think we can guarantee that
> hv_vmbus has loaded yet.

Yes you can, the dependancies in the module will take care of it.  Try
it, if you try to load the hv_netvsc module before hv_vmbus, modprobe
will load hv_vmbus first.

> It would be better to have netvsc check to make sure hv_vmbus is loaded.

How would you do that?  The symbol resolution will not allow hv_netvsc
to be loaded without hv_vmbus being around.

Now I do think that just adding the same pci/dmi ids to all of the
modules is a bit odd, and that something else needs to be done here, but
at the moment, I can't think of anything better.

thanks,

greg k-h