device virtualization

Dear all:

           In a Linux system, the access of a hardware device is to open and close its device node. However, using device virtualization, the physical device can be shared with one more guest OSes. Does the device node of the shared physical device still need to be opened and closed turn by turn for being accessed by the guest OSes? Does it mean that the device sharing mechanism is performed in the user space and not kernel space? What are performed in the kernel space if KVM is used? How about Xen, QEMU, and VMWare, or other device virtualization techniques? I’m a beginner for virtualization, and hope that someone can answer to my questions Thanks very much!

Sincerely,

Huang.