Re: pci: is reset incomplete?

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 12:15:29PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>
>> Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>> pci bus reset does not seem to clear pci config registers, such as BAR
>>> registers, or memory space enable, of the attached devices: it only
>>> clears the interrupt state.
>>>
>>> This seems wrong, but easy to fix.
>>>

>> I don't think most pci devices reset their config space in their reset
>> callbacks.
>>

> For things like BAR registers, they really must.

BARs should be registered via pci_register_bar so you should be able to
centralize their reset.

> class codes are read only registers. Your proposal might be correct for
> some of these. But PCI registers that are reset, change as a result of
> guest activity, and reset values are typically specified by guest spec.
> So I don't think we should let users tweak these.

Well, I guess my general point was that it would be good to add more
structure to how config space is initialized.  I think a natural
consequence of that is that it becomes easier to automatically fix the
values on reset.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori