Re: vhost net: performance with ping benchmark

On 08/25/2009 05:22 AM, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> I think 2.6.32 is pushing it.

2.6.32 is pushing it, but we need to push it.

> I think some time is needed to flush out the userspace interface.  In
> particular, I don't think Mark's comments have been adequately
> addressed.  If a version were merged without GSO support, some
> mechanism to do feature detection would be needed in the userspace API.

I don't see any point  in merging without gso (unless it beats userspace
with gso, which I don't think will happen).  In any case we'll need
feature negotiation.

> I think this is likely going to be needed regardless.  I also think
> the tap compatibility suggestion would simplify the consumption of
> this in userspace.

What about veth pairs?

> I'd like some time to look at get_state/set_state ioctl()s along with
> dirty tracking support.  It's a much better model for live migration
> IMHO.

My preference is ring proxying.  Not we'll need ring proxying (or at
least event proxying) for non-MSI guests.

> I think so more thorough benchmarking would be good too.  In
> particular, netperf/iperf runs would be nice.

Definitely.

signature is too narrow to contain.