[Lf-announce] Linux Foundation Newsletter, February 2009

In this month's Linux Foundation newsletter:

* Collaboration Summit Agenda Announced
* LinuxCon Call for Papers
* New Style Connects Foundation Web Sites
* "We're Linux" Video Contest Still Going Strong
* Linux Foundation in the News
* From The Director

==> Collaboration Summit Agenda Announced <==

The Linux Foundation has announced the preliminary agenda for the 3rd Annual Collaboration Summit, taking place April 8-10, 2009 in San Francisco and hosted by Intel.

Confirmed Keynotes and Roundtable Panels include:

* Edward Screven, Chief Corporate Architect, Oracle
* The Future of Mobile Linux and Moblin 2.0 Demo presented by Imad Sousou, Intel
* Why Can't We All Just Get Along: Linux, Microsoft, and Sun: a roundtable panel with Jim Zemlin of The Linux Foundation, Sam Ramji of Microsoft, and Ian Murdock of Sun Microsystems
* Linux Participation Panel--Measuring Community Contributions: a panel with Jono Bacon, Community Manager, Ubuntu; James Bottomley, kernel developer; Joe Brockmeier, Community Manager, openSUSE; and Dan Frye, VP of Open Systems Development at IBM
* The Linux Kernel: What's Next: A roundtable panel with Jon Corbet, Greg Kroah-Hartmann, Andrew Morton, Keith Packard and Ted Ts'o

To request an invitation to attend this powerful and thought-provoking event, visit: http://events.linuxfoundation.org/component/registrationpro/?func=details&did=2

==> LinuxCon Call for Papers <==

The Linux Foundation is pleased to announce the launch of LinuxCon, a brand new annual North American technical conference.  The 1st Annual LinuxCon is taking place September 21–23, 2009 in Portland, OR.

Registration and Call for Papers are now open. Linux is poised to become a $50-billion ecosystem by 2011. While there are many point developer conferences for Linux today, there is not a comprehensive and high quality gathering for developers and users of Linux to come together and collaborate.  LinuxCon will do just this--bringing together the best and brightest the Linux community has to offer, including core developers, administrators, end users, community managers and industry experts. (http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon)

==>  Linux Foundation Announces Beta of New Website <==

As the Foundation increases its web presence, changes have been made to all of the Foundation's web sites, including a complete redesign of the main Linux Foundation site. The public can get a sneak preview of the new site at http://beta.linuxfoundation.org/.

The LF site's new system will allow for better collaboration among and between our workgroups and councils.  The new Linux Foundation site will allow for easier navigation and a faster, more robust experience for LF site visitors. The new design is much more streamlined and graphic oriented, and all the LF sites share several common elements: navigation, tools, styles, and logos--while also keeping their own sense of identity.

The Linux Developer Network (http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org), the LF Video site (http://video.linuxfoundation.org), and the LF Events site (http://events.linuxfoundation.org/) already feature the new design.

==> "We're Linux" Video Contest Still Going Strong <==

Many unique entries have been entered for the Foundation's "We're Linux" Video Contest, which will be open for entries until March 15. The entries thus far run the gamut of style, skillset, and messaging, and reflect the Linux community's creativity in interesting ways.

If you haven't checked out the entries yet, you're invited to do so at http://video.linuxfoundation.org/category/video-category/-linux-foundation-video-contest. We think you'll enjoy much of what you'll find.

==> Linux Foundation in the News <==

ZDNet Asia: Open Source Can Boost S'pore Innovation
"Citing an October report by the Linux Foundation, [Harish] Pillay, [open source evangelist and sales training manager at Red Hat]  said efforts poured into building free Linux community distribution, Fedora 9, would have otherwise cost US$10.8 billion. This figure was estimated based on the 204,500,946 lines of codes written for the software, 59,389.53 man-hours spent, and the average programmer's annual salary of US$75,662.08 as determined by the US Department of Labor." (http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/business/0,39044229,62051160,00.htm)

LinuxPlanet: How Many Linux Users Are There (Really)?
"As Jim Zemlin, the executive director of The Linux Foundation, points out, 'I am not joking or trying to be trite, but the answer to this question is: every single person in the modern world every day. Everyone who searches Google, picks up a phone and uses telecommunication infrastructure, watches a new televisions, use a new camera, makes a call on many modern cell phones, trades a stock on a major exchange, watches a weather forecast generated on a supercomputer, logs into Facebook, navigates via air traffic control systems, buys a netbook computer, checks out at a cash register, withdraws cash at an ATM machine, fires up a quick-boot desktop (even those with Windows), or uses one of many medical devices; the list goes on and on.'" (http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6671/1/)

==> From The Director <==

I've written on Red Hat before and the confidence I feel in their operational strengths. It is one of the best run companies I've seen. Red Hat's leadership in the Linux space and its steadfast belief in open source software has been a key factor in Linux adoption in the enterprise. This year's numbers with Linux capturing greater than 20% of server shipments, a major success, are due in large part to Red Hat's competitiveness and hard work.

One thing about great companies: they pick great partners. Red Hat is celebrated 10 years working with IBM today. In 1999, Red Hat had gone public and IBM was looking at Linux strategically. Since then, the dotcom bubble broke, and less prepared companies like Sun were hard hit while IBM and Red Hat are stronger than ever. In 2009, the partnership between Red Hat and IBM spans the globe, and both names are synonymous with Linux.

Read more at http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/jzemlin/2009/02/18/congratulations-to-ibm-and-red-hat-on-their-10th-anniversary/

----

To unsubscribe from this newsletter, please send a blank e-mail to
lf-announce-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Thank you.