Re: [RFC] CPUID usage for interaction between Hypervisors and Linux.

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Alok Kataria wrote:
>
> I guess, but the bulk of the uses of this stuff are going to be
> hypervisor-specific.  You're hard-pressed to come up with any other
> generic uses beyond tsc.

And arguably, storing TSC frequency in CPUID is a terrible interface
because the TSC frequency can change any time a guest is entered.  It
really should be a shared memory area so that a guest doesn't have to
vmexit to read it (like it is with the Xen/KVM paravirt clock).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori