Re: Virtio File System.

scott.kvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I am new to this mailing list, so please let me know if I am in the
> wrong place or asking questions in a way I shouldn't.

Here is fine.  virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is also a good
place since virtio is not kvm specific.

> I was wondering if anyone had thought about creating a virtio file
> system, rather than using a block device and hence a single file on
> the host OS as the virtio block device already does, but map file
> system calls on the guest OS to file system calls on the host OS
> through the virtio interface.  In this way the Guest OS could share
> files with the Host OS without needing to use Samba, which from my
> current experiences is rather slow.

There was some work using the plan 9 filesystem protocol over virtio.
Not sure where that stands.  You could base your work off that.

> I have started to play with the idea a little myself, but my biggest
> problem is that I have no clue how to write filesystem drives in my
> Guest OS, Window XP, or even if it is possible to get a Windows
> FileSystem driver to talk directly to a PCI device, or if some kind of
> dummy block device would be needed.

It ought to be possible; the Windows smb stack works without a block device.

> My host OS is Linux, Guest OS is Windows XP.  Maybe I should start
> with a Linux/Linux setup and get that working first ?

That's definitely a good idea.