Re: virtio_net and SMP guests

Rusty Russell wrote:
On Monday 24 December 2007 10:19:19 Dor Laor wrote:
Rusty Russell wrote:
Looks good to me. The only thing is the naming.. Maybe one can find
better name than [dis|en]able_cb since
it is more like disable interrupts than disable_cb and enable_cb is more
like run_callbacks (and enable interrupts).

Yes, the nomenclature is a little wishy-washy. Perhaps we should call them "interrupts" even though (all together) the s390 doesn't have interrupts.

Actually while looking at it some more, there's might be a performance
optimization using your new patch:
Up to now, if the tx/rx paths were running out of descriptors they
called enable_cb.
enable_cb told the host it should trigger an irq the next time it has
data for the guest.
 From now on, enable_cb will run the callbacks inside shortening latency.

btw, I tried to apply this patch on my source tree without luck,  after
doing a manual merge, the
guest opssed on the BUG_ON. I think it's because my sources are not
aligned with yours.
Can you please post a mercurial/git repo? Please specify the relatively
repository in case you choose mercurial.

Hmm, I currently publish a patch queue and a subset of that for Linus to pull from. I could create a git tree from it but it'd be useless to you, since it'd be re-created every time I modify the patch queue...

Rusty.
It's ok with me, anyway I always pull from Avi & you and try push new patches back. btw: I checked your Linux tree and found it a bit old, there was no tx coalescing timer, it's probably good
for 2.6.24. Do you plan to post patchset for 25 windows?
Thanks,
Dor