Re: [RFC 1/4] New virtio bus driver

On Monday 09 July 2007, Avi Kivity wrote:
> > The problem with hotplugging devices on PCI is that there is not a good
> > standard for this yet. The best option we have is probably PCI express
> > hotplug, but I'm not sure how many legacy operating systems already support
> > this.
>
> This is indeed a problem.  Perhaps we should have a virtqueue for
> reconfiguration (with a couple of read messages always queued for
> host-side changes, and a write message sent when the guest reconfigures).

Yes, that would be my preferred solution as well. For devices that need
reconfiguration capability, one virtqueue for all out-of-band information
should be enough, with device specific messages.

Why do you think we want to have multiple outstanding read messages?
I would guess that a single message is enough, you can always requeue
it after one event gets processed.

	Arnd <><