Re: [RFC 1/4] New virtio bus driver

On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 22:29 +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Sunday 08 July 2007, Avi Kivity wrote:
>
> > > Alternatively, we could have a mechanism separate from the
> > > virtqueue concept, like a synchronous get_config_data/set_config_data
> > > callback into the host driver.
> > >

> > You also need to allow the host to notify the guest about configuration
> > changes.
>
> That is much harder to do, it would require a separate interrupt if you
> want to have a device independent mechanism.

See, I was going to have a "virtblk_device_change()" entry point and
leave others to solve the problem of how to connect it up...

TBH I think it's a little early to design the One True Bus: I'm just not
smart enough to see so far ahead.  When we have a bundle of devices
which support a most of the functionality we want, I think we'll have a
better idea of how to encapsulate it.

(That said, I love that Arnd is thinking about this now: it will make it
much easier when we do reach that point).

Cheers,
Rusty.